CLEVELAND ALL STARS SHINE ‘AMIST’ THE RAIN
By Bernie Golias
The first inaugural Cleveland All Stars Homecoming Show and Tour, June 12-14, was everything it was meant to be; a unique gathering of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio pre-war made vehicles. Its purpose was to expose and educate the general public on Cleveland and Northeast Ohio’s rich automotive heritage.
The three day event began with a cookout Friday afternoon at the Templar building located in Lakewood, Ohio where Dave Buehler shared his collection of Templar automobiles. He also gave an informative talk followed by questions pertaining to the cars’ history. The space, located on the third floor of the original Templar building, houses his collection and was within the same area where these cars were originally assembled. During Dave’s presentation he announced the space will be officially named Arthur Holiday Hall after Arthur Holliday the mechanic for Cannonball Baker who held a transcontinental road record of six-days 27 hours and 3 minutes in a Templar back in 1920. Attending the evening’s festivities was the daughter of Mr. Holliday, Ms. Deloris Holliday whose 85th Birthday was also being celebrated.
Approximately 30 vehicles were on display Saturday at Ursuline College where torrential rains pounded the pavement just hours prior to the show’s opening. The oldest cars representing Cleveland and Northeast Ohio’s automotive roots included a 1900 Packard Model B owned by Terry Martin, 1903 Packard Model F replica of the Old Pacific Two owned by the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio and a 1903 Packard Tonneau Coupe owned by Bob McKeown. Their owners kindly started them, gave a brief lecture as to what makes them tick and drove some lucky enthusiastic spectators around the show grounds. It was an automotive history lesson at its best.
Three Wintons were on hand; two belonging to Dave Heinrich’s: a 1917 Winton Model 22A seven–passenger touring and a convertible sedan; also on hand was my 1922 Winton Model 40, 70 HP touring. Also present was Ralph Curzon’s 1912 Peerless Speedster with its 60 HP 824.8 cubic–inch motor; one of three Peerlesses with motors that size known to exist. The car was owned by past AACA member Truman Fischer back in the early 1970’s. Many other Peerlesses attended the show since the Peerless Car Club simultaneously held their national meet within the event. The Chandler/Cleveland Automobile Club was also in on the fun and one-offs such as a 1913 Vulcan Speedster and 1930 Jordan Speedway Ace.
The banquet was held at Lander Haven Executive Caterers where Bill Chapin, President of the Automotive Hall of Fame gave an informative keynote speech. He encouraged our Cleveland group to continue developing the event and give thought to establishing an organization such as the one he started back in 1987 called MotorCities National Heritage Area www.motorcities.org an affiliate of the National Park Service dedicated to preserving, interpreting and promoting the automotive and labor heritage of the State of Michigan. There were four family descendants representing the Stearns, Winton, Baker and White motor car companies; they were recognized as such.
Sunday morning, Cars and Coffee held at the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum, allowed guests and the general public to browse the museum’s collection and partake in additional self guided tours of historic places put together by the AACA Northern Ohio Chapter.
The success of the show encouraged both the AACA Northern Ohio Chapter, www.aacanorthernchapter.com and the Crawford Auto Aviation Museum, WRHS, www.wrhs.org to work together once again and bring a second show to fruition in 2017. We’ll keep you informed.